Chainmen tend to be:
1) students of the Surveyhood whilst gaining vital survey experience in the off peak periods
2) Career chainmen - nasty rabid, fly blown and flea bitten pieces of work who, for some reason, are all smokers and have filthy beards.
Chainmen (or chainpersons) are responsible for:
- Keeping the survey vessels (see rust bucket) in reasonable cleanly order and with appropriate amount of stocks
- holding the prism pole for the surveyor (as the surveyor can only be in one place at one time unfortunately...)
- Following orders from the surveyor
- Filling the air with cigarette smoke and the nasal twang of bogan accents
- Generally making a balls up of every possible situation
Draftsperson: "So what did you do?"
Surveyor: "I took him out the back and shot him."
Draftsperson: "Oh, good!"