The process of memory/personality creation usually involves the suggestion of a sympathetic and charismatic therapist, but it can also occur within groups of "survivors" on the internet or in self-help groups. The process is likened to a cult, since participants often cut off contact with former friends and relatives who question the bizarre direction of therapy and instead form bonds with other recovered memory "survivors."
1. Suggestion by an authority figure that recovering abuse memories will lead to healing.
2. Sympathy/attention associated with the victim role (There is high overlap with dramatic/historionic/borderline personality disorders).
3. Involvement in a complex and interesting project, as the client creates personalities to reflect different aspects of her fantasies.
4. Absolution of responsibility for one's problems implied by the victim role.
5. Sexual fetishes or fantasies that would otherwise feel unacceptable can be enacted and attributed to the "memories" of abuse. In fact, studies show that there is a high representation of DID in online groups for ageplay and domination/submission games.
People will develop this order from not knowing how to deal with abuse or suppressing too much emotion, usually, as a child.
**NOTE: What these people believe is happening in their head is what is happening in their head. They can't control what's happening and most people would get rid of the disorder if they more easily could.
Alters FUCK EVERYTHING UP FOR THOSE THAT HAVE TO LIVE WITH THIS DISORDER. My ex has D.I.D. The beastly version of his own personality (not a legit alter) blocked his memory of me. He did this because I wouldn't have sex with him..well them..so yeah..pretty fucked up.
THIS DISORDER GENUINELY, TRULY SUCKS.
Rare condition indicated by the absence of a clear and comprehensive identity. two or more independent and distinct personality systems develop in the same individual.
NOT ] ! " the pretense of having multiple personalities for the purpose of sucking attention and sympathy"-ignorant