1) An acronym for the brand name 'Nitrous Oxide Systems'. NOS produces a chemical known as nitrous oxide, often used in the performance optimization of car and motorcycle engines. The chemical (N2O) breaks up upon contact with air, releasing extra oxygen into the engine. This often means that oxygen detectors in modern cars pick up the extra oxygen and add more fuel to the a/f mixture. This means the engine will pack a harder punch than it typically would, in the form of an instant flywheel horsepower gain.
2) A buzzword used by the illegal street racing comunity (often populated by rice burners), to make one's car sound fast. Many misconceptions have arisen from the term NOS, particularily founded by the film iThe Fast And The Furious/i. One misconception is that NOS can be installed on any car, and with the push of a button it will result in an exponential gain in speed. Another is that NOS iis/i nitrous oxide; NOS is only a brand name. Nitrous oxide can only be installed on some engines, and does not necessarily mean a huge gain in speed. It is NOT activated with the push of a button, most nitrous systems have a throttle trip system that activates the nitrous flow at WOT (wide-open-throttle), in order to maximize potential speed. Another widely mentioned misconception is that nitrous oxide is flammable. It is not. Though any compressed gas can explode when heated, the gas itself is non-flammable.
2.) Commonly accepted replacement for the term "Nitrous Oxide." However, this is not correct, and anyone who says "NOS" instead of Nitrous Oxide should be shot.
Manawski: Didn't you read my definition?
2. Derived from the abbreviation of the company name Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS), one of the pioneering companies in the development of nitrous oxide injection systems for automotive performance use. Basically, it makes your car go a lot faster.
2. When you're looking to go fast, rely on NOS.
2. a bottle that 34% of the time is used to be put on fart rice (big difference between ricer car and import car). And when it is equipped, the ricer realizes it's empty because he bought it from the corner store as a drinkable liquid thats called NOS.
corner store guy: Oh, you want NOS Ehh, I got it right here
Ricer guy: Oh, well here's a dollar
corner store guy: No, this cost 5 dolla for 2 liter
Ricer guy: Damnit, I'll just take a small shot
corner store guy: Okay, that 3 dolla and 50 cent
Ricer guy: What!
Corner store guy: Oh sorry, you said SHOT of NOS, here you go 2 dolla
Ricer guy: That couldnt even speed up my hot wheels car!!
Corner store guy: Just getta fuck outta my store!!