1. Hard to understand: Difficult to understand because of not being fully or clearly expressed.
2. Indistinct: Not able to be seen or heard distinctly.
3. Unimportant or unknown: not important or well-known.
4. Known to few people: Unknown to most people, e.g. because of being hidden or remote.
5. Dim: dark, shadowy, or clouded.
1. An obscure passage in the manuscript.
2. Its outlines are obscure, but the object seems roughly cigar-shaped.
3. An obscure portrait painter.
4. An obscure object.
5. An obscure corner of the hall.
Used to define something that 'you wouldn't understand' or 'probably never heard of'.
Hipster: "Figures. It's pretty obscure."