EX. 2 - Dude, I was being a huge asshole to rando people last night. I was trying to pick fights and everything (slapping, hitting, etc.). Well guess what? Some guy who I tried to pick a fight with called me out. He asked me if I wanted to sanction. I said yes...bad idea.
Compared to a slap on the wrist, but less effective, sanctions are nothing more than United Nations PR "showing" the world that they are hard at work keeping baddies in line.
Not quite as powerful as the wag of the finger, sanctions have absolutely no effect on the country they are imposed upon.
However, these countries go about their day to day plotting because sanctions are USELESS.
Show some balls, World.
2. Verb. To put someone in their place; to regulate on a bitch.
2. "My roommate left our pad unlocked again, so I had to sanction that shit."
2. Support or encouragement, as from public opinion or established custom.
3. A consideration, influence, or principle that dictates an ethical choice.
4.1. A law or decree.
2. The penalty for noncompliance specified in a law or decree.
5. A penalty, specified or in the form of moral pressure, that acts to ensure compliance or conformity.
6. A coercive measure adopted usually by several nations acting together against a nation violating international law.
tr.v. sanc·tioned, sanc·tion·ing, sanc·tions
1. To give official authorization or approval to: “The president, we are told, has sanctioned greed at the cost of compassion” (David Rankin).
2. To encourage or tolerate by indicating approval. See Synonyms at approve.
3. To penalize, especially for violating a moral principle or international law.