A business owner who doesn't take the responsibilities of running the business seriously, or has not done the homework necessary to understand all of the aspects of running the business. The owner has done one or more of the following:
• Started the business on a whim, not counting the cost of doing business
• Doesn't understand marketing
• Didn't research to understand if there is a market for his or her product or service
• Doesn't know how to sell, or find people who do
• Doesn't know how to lead people
• Assumed his/her product would win simply because it is superior technology
Or any of a number of other stupid mistakes.
Dick decided to go into business, but didn't do research to find out if there was a market for his offerings. He just assumed that people would want what he had because he thought it was such a great idea. Now he's in a difficult financial position both personally and in business. Dick basically pretended to be in business by not taking it seriously, therefore, he is an entrepretender.