1. Someone who studies language or literature.
2. Specifically, someone who studies Ancient Greek and Latin languages; a classicist.
- a specialist in philology
- a person who does not listen to or understand the problems or situation at hand, but thinks they know exactly how to remedy them. They will rudely offer their advice in the form of cliché, pop-psychology sound bites and blanketed, one-size-fits-all, cookie cutter solutions.
- inexperienced author of contemporary self-help books
*Dr. Phil is a TV show hosted by a loud-mouthed, balding Phil McGraw, PhD, in which he cycles through topics and guests, superficially highlighting their struggles and offering quick-fix, psychobabble advice like "Get real."
Female 2: Another philologist at work, handing out lame-duck advice. What did she expect you to do, give the kid a time out??? I bet she doesn't even have kids!