1. Another word for "subculture" that doesn't sound quite so scientific, allowing it to be used in daily conversation. Used this way it usually has an adjective modifying it: the "indy scene" or the "hardcore scene" or the "emo scene." When someone refers to a particular "scene," they're talking about everything - the people, the places, the fashion, the music, and the trends.
2. A tongue-in-cheek reference to the trends and fashions of the various scenes. Many of these subcultures were built around countercultural ideals and nonconformist attitudes; the fact that trends even exist is humorous irony, and using "scene" as an adjective originally intended to lampoon that.
3. A trend of sorts that evolved from the indy, emo, and hardcore scenes (see the first definition); basically, anything that can be sold at Hot Topic. As events like Warped Tour - and artists like Avril Lavigne - became popular, the trends and fashions of these three scenes (and a few others) were gradually amalgamized and commericalized to create the generic "scene" monkier. Someone who is "scene" generally borrows from the various subcultures and combines them together - you can tell they're part of *a* scene, but no one is quite sure *what* scene. It is important to note that this use of "scene" refers to a fashion trend - it isn't a subculture in its own right, because it has no music, venues, or attitudes of its own to live on after it loses popularity.
4. An ironic insult toward followers of the "scene" trend outlined in 3. Calling someone "scene" brings up images of Avril Lavigne, Hot Topic, Good Charlotte, and, more recently, Myspace; it implies that he or she is a fair-weather fan, conforming to be popular or to fit in. In that sense, it is related to the term poseur. It also implies being more worried about the more visible icons of a particular scene (the fashion and language, for example) than the music that the scene is founded on. Calling someone a scenester basically means the same thing.
2. Wow... a Thundercats shirt, crotch-hugging faded jeans, and a devilock... how very scene of you. Not to mention your ratty Converse shoes or your Know Your Mushrooms armband.
3. Be more scene. Shop at Hot Topic.
4. Enjoy being scene while it lasts, because Myspace isn't enough to keep it going once the next fad hits.
Black hair, black clothes/tight clothes, messy/creative hairstyle. Some but not all are straightedge. Eyeliner is typically worn to local shows, and most are heavy slam-dancers, not the 'must kill everything in the pit' type.
" Sure, since we're scene and cool, kk bye"
PS I'M SCENE, AND ITS COOL //
Many people these days have different thoughts on 'scene kids'. Many people also relate 'scene kids' to 'emo kids'. Well, let me explain them both to you.
'Scene Kids' are more in for the style, and the music. The music genre that most stick to are hardcore, metal, screamo or anything like so. Some also listen to, dance, rap, hip-hop and trance music. 'Scene kids' goto as many shows as possible to meet up with their friends, meet new 'scene kids', see their 'favourite band', and throwdown * . Music is not everything to them though. Style is also very important. The way your portray yourself will lable you a 'scene kid' or a 'n00b * '. Most 'scene kids' stick to the regular, tight pants, converse (now a days, nike hightops), band tees, colourful mo-print tees, colourful hair, colourful makeup, fair skin and headbands. Body modification is also a big part of being 'scene'. The more wierd the piercing/tattoo the more 'scene' you are. Meeting up with your 'scene friends' and saying how much 'n00bs' annoy you, drinking, doing substances, and destroying public property are a favourite passtime. 'Scene kids' also hate preppy kids...for obvious reasons.
The Rules of Being 'SCENE'
1. Having a lot of x's in your name are not scene.
(x's are for straightXedge kids, n00bs, and emo kids)
2. Adding every 'scene kid' on myspace isn't scene.
3. Scene nicknames are a must on myspace.
(Sarah Slaughter, Marissa Murder, Alex Autopsy etc..)
4. 'Scene kids' must goto shows.
5. 'Scene kids' always say they aren't scene.
(if you say your scene, your a n00b.)
6. Doing illegal things is 'cool'
(breaking the law is risky, looking like a rebal give you scene points)
7. Having a lot of colours in your hair makes you scene and 'unique'
8. Teased hair is okay, unless its unbelievably teased.
(having hair that is too teased, makes you seem like a 'n00b')
9. Hello Kitty, Dinosaurs, and other 'cute' animals are very scene.
10. Photography, Poetry, Painting, Drawing and every other artistic thing is scene
'Emo Kids' are emotional. They are not happy with the world, are heartbroken, cut and cry. These kids get made fun of a lot, which makes them even more emotional. Writing poems about how depressed you are, is very 'emo'. Wearing only black, and not having any colours is very 'emo'. Heavy black make-up is very 'emo' because when you cry, people know. 'Emo kids' do not care that everyone knows how emotional they are, they actually prefer it.
*N00b; Posers. These kids wear colourful socks, have little children backpacks, and usually have un-'scene' hair. They call themselves 'scene' which is not very scene at all.
*Throwdown; Hardcore Dancing. A bunch of kids in a mosh pit, waving their arms around, spin-kicking and doing a lot of other harmful 'hardcore' dance moves.
& Goth Kids
-choppy hair that looks cool on myspace, but is always greasy and pressed against her forehead in reality
-usually bleached with Paul Mitchell: Trailer Park Crack Whore color
-is a professional photographer and insists she doesn't own photoshop
-wants a septum ring but mom won't let her
-has a myspace with pictures of her in her bathroom pretending to cry or with writing on her knuckles
-says she goes to local shows all the time, but you never really see her there
-thinks boys who look as close to girls as possible are hot
-belongs to a livejournal community called "cuntxcore" or "gungunbangbang" or "murderscene". because anything involving guns, or bang, or murder, or glamour, electric, shock, lust, or cunt, she thinks is cool in everybody else's book so it's cool in her book
-often says things like "SUP NIGZ" or "KTHXBAI" or "I HATE YOU KDIE" or "IM COOLER THAN YOU K" or "SUP IM RAD" on their myspace profile
-when met by a more skilled photoshop user, the scene girl will insist this newcomer is a "Fake"
-loves dinosaurs and robots and little girl bows and headbands on one forum and then condemns dinosaurs and robots and little girl bows and headbands on another.
-theyre just obnoxious overweight middle schoolers trying to fit into a world controlled by mass marketing corporations who tell them their cheap neon pants they buy using mommy's money from hot topic are unique and LYKE TOTALLY xxh4rdXXC0R3xxx
-scene girls are just obnoxious overweight bitches online.
scene guy dress:
short choppy black and 2+ other color hair
skinny jeans or girl jeans that they might not be able to walk in.
tight shirts that are for girls and are most likely 5 sizes to small(mainly hello kitty or random electronica bands like blood on the dance floor or dot dot curve).
tattoos at leats one place on the body
owns 2+ pairs of vans or neon colored nikes
bandanas on not necessary parts of the body
scene girl dress:
2+ colored long choppy hair
snake bites, nose rings, plugs and cartilage peircings
shirts that are 1 or 2 sizes too small for their already stick like bodys also hello kitty or electronica bands but they also wear band shirts like chiodos or dance gavin dance.
straight leg or skinny jeans that are 2 sizes too small
vans, nike, or converse shoes or flats
bracelets covering most of their arms
scene people listen to hardxcore, electronica, techno, rave or screamo music. think guys like dahvie vanity and oliver sykes are the sex(cuz they are!)
(guy)dotdotcuve966: NoThIn much playa. just saw your 200 new pics of your new hair. so the secks! u do it yo self?
botdfxlover42: hellz yea i did!!how could i trust a stylist unless its dahvie to give me such badass scene hair? just got the idea from dahvies new collection staying alive 08-09. he so siq!
dotdotcurve966: ikr? i just heard his bands new song tis the shitt.
botdfxlover42: word up! d00d u r so thug. well i g2g rape a penguin. see ya!
-usually likes music like bring me the horizon, hadouken, paramore, elecronic music and some rap just because they're so br00t4l like that
-likes patterns like diamonds, lightning bolts, cupcakes, or hello kitty and gloomy bear
-unnatural black/blonde hair with coontails, backcombs, wears headband
-immitates gangstaaaa's slang to be cool
-likes myspace better than bebo
-is a stickam entertainer just because gee von gore (or geedropdead) said stickam was cool
-knows who techno star, chemo tink, and bee pirate hooker are
-admires audrey kitching
-wears glasses or sunglasses in pictures
-takes pictures in different places and at different angles
-hates emos and being called emo
-has tried smoking, drugs, and alcohol
-loves millionaires and brokencyde
-wears skinny jeans, and whatever odd things they can find in their closet
-has one of those diamond necklaces
please note that agreeing to a few of the above does not make you scene
"naw, she's a total scene kid. I prefer indie's myself. :P"