1. Another word for "subculture" that doesn't sound quite so scientific, allowing it to be used in daily conversation. Used this way it usually has an adjective modifying it: the "indy scene" or the "hardcore scene" or the "emo scene." When someone refers to a particular "scene," they're talking about everything - the people, the places, the fashion, the music, and the trends.
2. A tongue-in-cheek reference to the trends and fashions of the various scenes. Many of these subcultures were built around countercultural ideals and nonconformist attitudes; the fact that trends even exist is humorous irony, and using "scene" as an adjective originally intended to lampoon that.
3. A trend of sorts that evolved from the indy, emo, and hardcore scenes (see the first definition); basically, anything that can be sold at Hot Topic. As events like Warped Tour - and artists like Avril Lavigne - became popular, the trends and fashions of these three scenes (and a few others) were gradually amalgamized and commericalized to create the generic "scene" monkier. Someone who is "scene" generally borrows from the various subcultures and combines them together - you can tell they're part of *a* scene, but no one is quite sure *what* scene. It is important to note that this use of "scene" refers to a fashion trend - it isn't a subculture in its own right, because it has no music, venues, or attitudes of its own to live on after it loses popularity.
4. An ironic insult toward followers of the "scene" trend outlined in 3. Calling someone "scene" brings up images of Avril Lavigne, Hot Topic, Good Charlotte, and, more recently, Myspace; it implies that he or she is a fair-weather fan, conforming to be popular or to fit in. In that sense, it is related to the term poseur. It also implies being more worried about the more visible icons of a particular scene (the fashion and language, for example) than the music that the scene is founded on. Calling someone a scenester basically means the same thing.
2. Wow... a Thundercats shirt, crotch-hugging faded jeans, and a devilock... how very scene of you. Not to mention your ratty Converse shoes or your Know Your Mushrooms armband.
3. Be more scene. Shop at Hot Topic.
4. Enjoy being scene while it lasts, because Myspace isn't enough to keep it going once the next fad hits.
When a teen/preteen uses the term "scene" in a conversation it will most likely involve one of the following:
2. A smaller measurement into which acts of a play are broken, usually based around a specific area. Most plays have 3 acts with 2-3 scenes per act.
2. Act II scene 3 of that play was a momentous performance, don't you agree?
-have a Myspace page
-upload 769507pictures of them fully photoshopped their page
-have their Myspace name as alliteration, normally involved in brutality, eg. CLAIRE CARNAGE<333
-all claim to be different,but most of them are clones
-have normally blonde or black hair,with coons or extensions
-backcomb their hair, with a bow in it
-boys would wear make up
-have 'xxxxxxxxxx' in their screen names
-mostly bisexual or say they are
-have about 05878piercings on their face,Mostly look ridiculous on girls but sometimes look alright (eg. monroe,bridge,septum,nose, eyebrow, snakebites, tongue etc)
-girls wear false eyelashes, extensions, tons of black eye make up
-just say they like the latest 'scene' bands cus they wanna be in with the trend
-have big essays on their Myspace page
-go to hardcore gigs just to be with friends and 2 step
-mostly like post hardcore or screamo,sometimes like rap as well
-wear skinny jeans and nike clothing
-have each side of their hair a different colour
-have little phrases like 'kthxbai','hiiii bby', 'fer sure; and 'ZOmG $000 8R00T4L!!'
-obsessed with hello kitty
-obsessed with oli sykes,only like BMTH cus he's 'zomg hot!'
-because of this they turn vegetarian or vegan
-own vast ammounts of drop dead clothing
-have an annoying style of writing, for example but about 30 three's on love-hearts (<33333333333333)
-have lots of band shirts and dinosaur shirts
-wear bat and hello kitty jewellery
-either straight edge or not edge,depending on the scene crowd they go with
-have about 67893456797 friends on their Myspace but only talk to about 2 of them (this makes it go to their head and they start to get cocky as they think their famous, they get vainer and vainer and more fake,and talk about how great they are 'i'm rad yo')
-infact, they couldn't live without a Myspace
HAnnAH HOMOCiDE: Like ZOMG did U see that new hXc band last night?
SarahSCENESTER: Zomg yerrr they were totally RAD!
HAnnAH HOMOCiDE: I know, right!? What did you think of the totally hot Awesome lead singer,I actually touched him ZOMG !He is like so scene!
SarahSCENESTER: REALLY?! You touched the lead singer? HAnnAH HOMOCiDE you are like totally my new Heroe,After Oli Sykes of course. EEEks I gotta go,My mom's here ,I'll see you tomorrow thx 4 the lift!
HAnnAH HOMOCiDE: kthxbai! <33333333333333
Tis goes beside the emo label as some traits are very similiar.
The scene always chenges- this can be looked at many ways such as, the scene where people go and the scene is what people like to wear and so on as so forth.
Many inconsiderable people such as chavs dont understand the scene and never wil cause there never rise to there level.
Scene kids wear-
van's, converse, bandanna's, drainpipes, tight tee's with slogans on or scene bands.
Scene kid's listen to-
Scene bands who are either powerpop or electro such as, cute is what we aim for, hellogoodbye, Enter shikari...etc
Scene Kid's talk with there on language-
you probally wont fully understand this unless you know the scene.
talking to each other:
You fucking what!
and so on... also using high classed words that under-educated people wouldnt know the meanings of
omg, omfg, many shortcuts for the MSN Emoticons like (Y) or :/ are well used. many words are placed in the square like brackets too.
words are shortened alot to make them better and quicker to type such as, srsly - seriously
Scene Kid's have-
a place where they hang! usually outside there local gig venue or a shopping centre. other places that they go will be hidden and no-body will be able to find them.
A MySpace profile which is usually white as small as possible with one big picture in the about me section. they have about 8734730 picture comments and still think they should have more and then they will delete the picture.
they say a picture is old when it's about a month old. will have lots of friends which they never talk to and will never do aswell.
Scene Kid's also-
go shopping in charity shops.
get wasted every weekend. or any oppurtunity.
order clothes out of catalogs your wouldn't be able to find.
know bands that you wouldnt ever hear of unless your scene too.
show there love romantically.
refer to all the other labels as lower than them and using them as insults.
Scene kid's never ever admit that they are scene.
cheers ill give you 10 for the new bandanna
i love you
i love you too
****Scene guys will not talk to anyone thats 'un-scene'. If a unscene girl leaves him a comment on myspace, he WONT comment back or talk to her at all. He will go to local shows and probably is WITH one of the bands that play or there to dance (mosh, two step, throwdown, etc.) like a crazy motherfucker. He's straight edge but smokes ciggarettes because "ciggarettes doesnt count", & he drinks on the downlow. He drives an ugly car and has a job that doesnt pay much. He has a sidekick I,II, or III just so he can be like all the other scene guys and check his myspace and AIM whenever he can. He has 561,844 friends on myspace but only knows about 300 of them.
-usually very skinny
-tight straight leg jeans
-or tight girl jeans
-choppy hair, lots of hairspray, side bangs
-usually 2 or more colors in their hair
-vans slip on shoes, big nikes, or pumas
-tight, small band shirts with bands you've never heard of before
-small hoodies that are small on them and zipped up all the way
-always wear some kind of wrist band that they got from going to a show or venue
-gauges in their ears
-dance obnoxiously no matter what kind of music it is
-says "nigga" instead of "dude"
-kisses other dudes but claims hes straight
-or claims hes bisexual but wont do more than kiss another guy
-drinks energy drinks alot (usually MONSTER, or REDBULL)
-claims he is vegan/vegetarian/straight edge
****Scene girls are the mean, stuck up, obnoxious ones who will not make any contact with you if you are not scene. They hate little girls who attend shows or concerts, and will pick on them. They too are straigt edge but smoke ciggarettes & drink on the downlow; they call themselves straight edge because basically, being straight edge is 10 scene points right there! They hate when a person that isnt scene likes the same band as her. She only likes bands that arent that famous and goes to every show they play in her state. She also has a million friends on myspace but only knows a little amount of them. she also has a sidekick I,II, or III just so she can be like all the other scene girls and check her myspace and AIM whenever she can. She's a bitch who will act tough but can't fight for her life.
-choppy, mullet looking hair with side bangs
-usually with 2 or more colors randomly dyed all over the place
-lots of colorful or black eyeliner
-usually colorful eyeshadow (green, purple, blue, yellow)
-lots of coverup to hide her acne that most scene kids have
-Straight legged tight jeans
-HUGE ASS purses/bags
-short skirts with bright colored leggings
-ballet flats/slip on shoes
-tight colorful shirts
-small band shirts with bands we've never heard of
-huge ass sunglasses or black rimmed glasses
-gauged ears or earrings you have never seen before
-plastic bead neclaces or pearls
-lots of layers in clothing
-bow ties, clips, or barrets in their hair that you would find a 4 yr old wearing
-Usually shop at thrift stores to look vintage
-claims she is vegan or vegetarian
****They both LOVE:
-t-mobile sidekick I, II, III
-crappy screamo music
-talking shit about everyone thats not scene
-being vegan/vegetarian/straight edge
If you consider yourself scene, you're just another one of those fags who know that you're emo & dont want to admit it because being emo is a bad thing. Being scene is just as stupid. Boys, stop wearing your sisters clothes and squeezing your dick near your zipper. Girls, stop wearing your little brothers/sisters clothes & fix your fucking hair. My little brother can cut hair better than your mullet looking bird nest. Being vegan is like killing all the trees. So...you're not typically saving the animals/world. Being straightedge is a very personal thing and you can't just change your opinion on it. PS, most scene kids are sluts, and being straight edge means you dont have sex or show nudity...so, therefore, you are not straight edge.