1. Another word for "subculture" that doesn't sound quite so scientific, allowing it to be used in daily conversation. Used this way it usually has an adjective modifying it: the "indy scene" or the "hardcore scene" or the "emo scene." When someone refers to a particular "scene," they're talking about everything - the people, the places, the fashion, the music, and the trends.
2. A tongue-in-cheek reference to the trends and fashions of the various scenes. Many of these subcultures were built around countercultural ideals and nonconformist attitudes; the fact that trends even exist is humorous irony, and using "scene" as an adjective originally intended to lampoon that.
3. A trend of sorts that evolved from the indy, emo, and hardcore scenes (see the first definition); basically, anything that can be sold at Hot Topic. As events like Warped Tour - and artists like Avril Lavigne - became popular, the trends and fashions of these three scenes (and a few others) were gradually amalgamized and commericalized to create the generic "scene" monkier. Someone who is "scene" generally borrows from the various subcultures and combines them together - you can tell they're part of *a* scene, but no one is quite sure *what* scene. It is important to note that this use of "scene" refers to a fashion trend - it isn't a subculture in its own right, because it has no music, venues, or attitudes of its own to live on after it loses popularity.
4. An ironic insult toward followers of the "scene" trend outlined in 3. Calling someone "scene" brings up images of Avril Lavigne, Hot Topic, Good Charlotte, and, more recently, Myspace; it implies that he or she is a fair-weather fan, conforming to be popular or to fit in. In that sense, it is related to the term poseur. It also implies being more worried about the more visible icons of a particular scene (the fashion and language, for example) than the music that the scene is founded on. Calling someone a scenester basically means the same thing.
2. Wow... a Thundercats shirt, crotch-hugging faded jeans, and a devilock... how very scene of you. Not to mention your ratty Converse shoes or your Know Your Mushrooms armband.
3. Be more scene. Shop at Hot Topic.
4. Enjoy being scene while it lasts, because Myspace isn't enough to keep it going once the next fad hits.
In other words, it's white youth's answer to fucking street gangs.
Basically an adjective for a series of sub-cultures, and a type of person who is regularly seen at certain hang-outs/shows. Although most people associate Scene with emo, it can also be used to describe people with an alternative music or fashion taste: electro pop, indie, post-punk or whatever other trillion sub-genres there are. More original scenesters are inspired by anime, the 80s and genuine music/art pioneers such as Andy Warhol. They also genuinely support gay rights, while the more bratty scenesters are the kind of kids who made fun of gays/lesbians in 7th grade yet now find guy-on-guy kissing orgasmic.
The majority however are in it for the trend, and talk lioke dis ni99a, K? K. And claim to be bisexual even though they really only ever like either boys or girls. And know absolutely nothing about art or where any of their ubiquitous little trademarks originated.
Scenesters are united by their love of all things cutesy: polka dots, Pokemon, dinosaurs, plug/button earrings, ribbons, hair bows, lace gloves, robots and pearl necklaces.
It's vital for a scenester to have a myspace: this is practically an online meeting point for the Scene, where the typically 16-20-year-olds will talk about what hardxcore show they'll be at, and how: omfgzz bbq dun be ghey, so cum 2 c Shiny Toy Guns feat. Jeffree Star lolzzz. K. Thx. Bai.
Although scenesters claim to be 100% original, you will notice that all their profiles are exact copies of each other, therefore they are uncannily easy to spot - tiny writing repeating the same tired old thing, like how their friends are better than yours, and how scene/br00t4l they are, how you can fuck off if you hate the way they look. And then bizarrely ending it with 'ily' i love you. Their Scene nickname must be in brackets, as it's hard to identify them on the Scene since they all look the same. Pictures of their friends saying: Dollxface pwns!. 53,1897 'friends'. A trillion phoney ass-licking comments. Blogs feature bf/gf applications even if they have a pic of their actual 'teh sexx' bf/gf of 2 days splattered all over their page or personal photography, 2 which their "crew" will remark: 'omgzz yew r lyke soo talented'. Most of them know each other hence the name 'Scene'. Their pictures are as follows: taken by themselves, big multi-colored hair, a "cute" close-up of MAC kohl plastered eyes & a goofy smile, the famous peace sign/covering their mouth as if to say "oops". Must feature them in a bandana, headband, bow, or anything else considered "scene". Comments will be sycophantic, saying "sex me plz?" or how hawt they look x1000. Will regularly post details of their latest piercing/drama, even when nobody cares. Their bulletins are always based on the following: tfjdjsiyh, a friend train or 'omgzz a nu fugly pic of meh'- to which they will receive 167857 comments for within 1.5 minutes. If not you wont hear the last of it. Although scenes claim to be against bullying or stereotype they'll happily hold childish best-looking competitions and refuse to add anyone ugly/without pictures. Their fave music features half a dozen lesser-known bands, although not long ago they were prob. into Britney. They generally don't go to shows for the music, as when they all come back from one, the subject on their lips isn't how good Mcr or whoever else they saw was, but how 'sup did ya see teh nu scene bi@tch last nite, i was lyke stfu!'
Overall, it's when these kids claim to be Scene that you know the "fame" has gotten to their head. Some of these people actually believe they are gods. However, the more original scenesters are some of the sweetest people you'll meet. What's more they don't claim to even be Scene.
xxSexgawdxxOFK: lyke no fkn way, im so fugly omgzz! i hate muhself!
Kendollxfacetrendy: omgzz no way! Ur hardxcore ily. Be my bff?
xxSexgawdxxOFK: erm... well i only lyke like gurlz
Kendollxfacetrendy: but on ur profile it sayz ur bi
xxSexgawdxxOFK: Erm... erm...
Kendollxfacetrendy: omgzz whateva ur such a fake, suck my pink scene clit, ur a kunt f@g!!!
I just cant believe you can manage to take five-fucking-hundred photos a day with exactly the same facial expression! It's just amazing!
And band t-shirts from Hot Topic! Wowee, that sure is original kiddos ;O No way they are mass produced or anything.
I can really see the logic in paying hundreds of dollars to go to concerts to see emos screaming just so you can sit there and listen to emos screaming on your ipod!
Isn't it fabulous how if you get a drugged up mental patient to chop up your hair and then throw a few buckets of food colouring over it it is considered sex!
The inch of makeup (both genders) clearly accentuates your 'different beauty', while casually changing the shape of your face in order to make it the same as any other 'scene kidd'!
8 year old girls jeans (again both genders) sure do look great as they cut into your flesh, making your legs a few inches smaller in circumference while cutting off circulation and causing possible amputation!
Talking 'ghetto' and adding extra letters to words sure does make you 'unique' and 'cool'!
And just because you dress, act, look and are exactly the same as emos doesn't mean you are emos.
You are definately not emos.
Scene Kids usually have choppy black hair and wear eyeliner. The guys wear tight band shirts. More points if it's a band no one has heard of. They wear studded belts and chuck taylor or vans. Plastic bracelets and big white-rimmed glasses that take up half their face. Tight girl pants. Pearls and bows, hair bands and things that little kids would wear. Their screen names usually contain 'x's. The more x's you have, the more 'scene' you are. AIM profiles usually have their myspace links in it, and are laced up with lyrics. More points if its 'emo'. Stars, hearts, and checkers are all 'scene'. Being straight edge is scene' Talking about how much you love a certain band, but you've only heard like 2 songs is 'scene.'
Neon colors, guns that go bang bang, vintage clothes, thrift stores, eyeliner like woah, polka dots, collared shirts, tight pants, black hoodies, gauged ears, lip rings, piercing your own body, studded jackets, etc. All scene.
Guy:: I got a new studded belt and band shirt size youth small from Hot Topic today.
Another Guy:: Shh! No one is supposed to know we actually buy things from Hot Topic. The cool thing to do is to order online, so you seem trendy without actually trying to be trendy. Duh.
XxOmgshesaidwahxX: oh my god i love underoath! I can't wait to go to their show
xBleeding xHeartsx: me too! what's your favorite song?
XxOmgshesaidwahxX: I dunno! I've only heard one song.
XBleeding xHeartsx: I <3 you. You're so scene.