1. Another word for "subculture" that doesn't sound quite so scientific, allowing it to be used in daily conversation. Used this way it usually has an adjective modifying it: the "indy scene" or the "hardcore scene" or the "emo scene." When someone refers to a particular "scene," they're talking about everything - the people, the places, the fashion, the music, and the trends.
2. A tongue-in-cheek reference to the trends and fashions of the various scenes. Many of these subcultures were built around countercultural ideals and nonconformist attitudes; the fact that trends even exist is humorous irony, and using "scene" as an adjective originally intended to lampoon that.
3. A trend of sorts that evolved from the indy, emo, and hardcore scenes (see the first definition); basically, anything that can be sold at Hot Topic. As events like Warped Tour - and artists like Avril Lavigne - became popular, the trends and fashions of these three scenes (and a few others) were gradually amalgamized and commericalized to create the generic "scene" monkier. Someone who is "scene" generally borrows from the various subcultures and combines them together - you can tell they're part of *a* scene, but no one is quite sure *what* scene. It is important to note that this use of "scene" refers to a fashion trend - it isn't a subculture in its own right, because it has no music, venues, or attitudes of its own to live on after it loses popularity.
4. An ironic insult toward followers of the "scene" trend outlined in 3. Calling someone "scene" brings up images of Avril Lavigne, Hot Topic, Good Charlotte, and, more recently, Myspace; it implies that he or she is a fair-weather fan, conforming to be popular or to fit in. In that sense, it is related to the term poseur. It also implies being more worried about the more visible icons of a particular scene (the fashion and language, for example) than the music that the scene is founded on. Calling someone a scenester basically means the same thing.
2. Wow... a Thundercats shirt, crotch-hugging faded jeans, and a devilock... how very scene of you. Not to mention your ratty Converse shoes or your Know Your Mushrooms armband.
3. Be more scene. Shop at Hot Topic.
4. Enjoy being scene while it lasts, because Myspace isn't enough to keep it going once the next fad hits.
Tight girl pants
Tight shirts made for little kids
Shoes such as Van's slipons, anything MacBeth, "old school" Pumas or Nikes, or Adidas Sambas
Reverse mullets with one eye usually covered by hair
Hair dyed black with highlights of another color
Ears that are gauged
Kiss other boys but aren't necessarily bisexual
Band shirts or small tees
Rolled up girl pants
Purses with sequins
Hair usually dyed two colors
Short, choppy hair
Usually have a pearl necklace
Consider Marilyn Monroe a role model
May be straightedge
Usually wear black or white bandanas
Strive to have knowledge of the most obscure bands
Use big words to appear intellectual
Greatly offended when called "scene" or "emo"
Listen to rap almost as much as the "cores"
Go to shows and throwdown or twostep
Hate skaters even though some may skate
Claim that everyone copied them
type in all lower case and never use punctuation except for periods orXreplaceXspacesXwithXupperXcaseXxs
Being a bandit
Being a gangsta
Arizona Ice Tea
Bands with annoyingly long names like "A Burst of Pain Ignites My Heart With Eternal Agony"
<3 instead of saying "I love you"
Oversized sunglass or aviator's glasses
The word HEART, spelled like that
Spelling some words completely and abbreviating others
XxHEARTattackxX: yo boo you going to the show tonite?
asXmyXHEARTXbleeds: oh you know it.a heartwell ending is playing with fear before the march of flames and recieving end of sirens.
XxHEARTattackxX: oh fo real? i <3 them.i <3 them a lot.
asXmyXHEARTXbleeds: i know.i cant wait to throwdown.
XxHEARTattackxX: hella yeah.did you hear my new song on myspace? its hollywood undead.
asXmyXHEARTXbleeds: they rock my socks.i <3 them.
XxHEARTattackxX: me too.i posted a pic of me wit my bandana on.
asXmyXHEARTXbleeds: sick.i took one with my pearls today
XxHEARTattackxX: werd.well i gotsta go.latta.
scenesters take pictures of themselves at seventy degree angles with a third of thier face covered with dyed black hair. Then post it on the net (see Or www.myspace.com) so thier friends can add comments like "Oh, seksiful.." or "Your sooooo purdy.."
Scene Kid: You won't have heard of them. I only ever listen to bands people havn't heard of, even though I don't the music that much...
Scene Kid: Kos I'm scene and kooler than you. <3
*Scene Kid Runs off and slits wrists*
2. One who complies to the current trend, that is, hardcore music, crazy ass make up, men wearing womens clothing, nautical star tattooes, black hair with a big fucking blonde streak, typical vans slip on checkered shoes, converse chuck taylors, black rimmed glasses, huge ass earring, large plugs, band shirts, chains, layers of clothing that doesn't match, old sweaters with holes in them that look as if they were plucked from the inner dwellings of a wino...
3. Often stench of old perfume, plus a combonation of other peoples sweat and old hair grease from not taking a shower.
4. Talks about music to the extent that you want to beat them over the head with their favortie Fender Strat signed by the whole band The Chariot...
I totally "hearted" their set...
Dude we should totally get a life, we are so scene...