1. Another word for "subculture" that doesn't sound quite so scientific, allowing it to be used in daily conversation. Used this way it usually has an adjective modifying it: the "indy scene" or the "hardcore scene" or the "emo scene." When someone refers to a particular "scene," they're talking about everything - the people, the places, the fashion, the music, and the trends.
2. A tongue-in-cheek reference to the trends and fashions of the various scenes. Many of these subcultures were built around countercultural ideals and nonconformist attitudes; the fact that trends even exist is humorous irony, and using "scene" as an adjective originally intended to lampoon that.
3. A trend of sorts that evolved from the indy, emo, and hardcore scenes (see the first definition); basically, anything that can be sold at Hot Topic. As events like Warped Tour - and artists like Avril Lavigne - became popular, the trends and fashions of these three scenes (and a few others) were gradually amalgamized and commericalized to create the generic "scene" monkier. Someone who is "scene" generally borrows from the various subcultures and combines them together - you can tell they're part of *a* scene, but no one is quite sure *what* scene. It is important to note that this use of "scene" refers to a fashion trend - it isn't a subculture in its own right, because it has no music, venues, or attitudes of its own to live on after it loses popularity.
4. An ironic insult toward followers of the "scene" trend outlined in 3. Calling someone "scene" brings up images of Avril Lavigne, Hot Topic, Good Charlotte, and, more recently, Myspace; it implies that he or she is a fair-weather fan, conforming to be popular or to fit in. In that sense, it is related to the term poseur. It also implies being more worried about the more visible icons of a particular scene (the fashion and language, for example) than the music that the scene is founded on. Calling someone a scenester basically means the same thing.
2. Wow... a Thundercats shirt, crotch-hugging faded jeans, and a devilock... how very scene of you. Not to mention your ratty Converse shoes or your Know Your Mushrooms armband.
3. Be more scene. Shop at Hot Topic.
4. Enjoy being scene while it lasts, because Myspace isn't enough to keep it going once the next fad hits.
+ livejournal/cam whore
+ cuts her own hair
+ thrift lover
+ short, choppy hair (frequently dyed)
+ GOES TO EVERY SHOW CONCEIVABLE. ** most important
+ incredibly flamboyant
+ tight, tight pants .. possibly girl pants
+ trendy belt
+ backpack or some kind of hipster hat
+ GOES TO EVERY SHOW.
2.3 : the place of an occurrence or action
It is terribly ashame that anything that is cracking the mold of normalcy could easily be swayed as "gay" or "stupid"...
Yes I will admit, most "scene" kids do all look alike...but so do most punk, pop princesses and rappers...
the "scene" is not a new fad, its just one that needs to be excepted just as everything and everyone else has...
1. Wear black drainpipe jeans (guys or girls) the lower slung the better
2. Ensure they show off your hipbones and the waistband of your boxers/girlboxers
3. Team your drainpipes with cutesey 'Punkrose' shoes or ballet shoes/converse/pink and black chequered vans (for girls) and Nike Dunks/chequered Vans slip ons/converse (for guys)
4. Wear youth/medium band t shirts (guys and girls) remember, the tighter the better!
5. Alternatively, girls may choose to wear short denim skirts over cut off black leggins with ballet shoes/converse
6. Ladies, team your kiddie tee with a long string of white pearls
7. Guys may choose to wear a bandana (or two?) either around their neck (or covering their mouth for a myspace picture) or alternatively tied around their wrist
8. In the colder weather, scene kids may choose to wear a youth/medium black band hoodie with their outfit, again the smaller the better!
9. These seem to be the most popular choices of clothing for London Scene kids, however naturally there will be variations.
10. BOYS - it's all about the fringe that covers one eye. Scene hair tends to be black (often dyed) or dark brown with blonde bits or red bits or whatever coloured bits are scene at the time. So yes, the front tends to be nice and long and side swept and straightened and the back tends to be spiked up a little bit. Many scene boys opt for the 'messy' look aided with lots and lots of hair products. Some scene boys like to cut their hair themselves to give it that extra choppy look.
GIRLS - Girls tend to opt for the mullet look; extra short choppy layers at the top with long messy hair extensions down to their waist or whatever length they desire (although some scene girls are clever and grow the long bits themselves..well done!) Girls hair tends to be dark brown/black with sections bleached blonde. Like scene guys, scene girls like the messy 'fresh out of bed' look, again aided by mass amounts of hairspray and products.
A popular hair accessory for a scene girl is a bow or headband, which are mostly purchased from Claires Accessories (I have seen a certain pink bow in Claires on about fifty different scene girls..or maybe they were the same girl? Hard to tell..:P)
11. yes, owning a Myspace account is ESSENTIAL. the layout of the myspace profile is up to the user, but most incorporate mass amounts of HTML
12. Stuck on what to write? Most scene kid myspace profiles involve the lines "my friends are better than yours" "i have the best friends in the world" "i smoke and drink too much" "i love to go to shows" "i want to leave this town" "kthnx" among other things
13. Stuck for a myspace name? Scene kids often use their own names written in capital letters, teamed with spaces and exclamation marks "H O L L Y !" and more often than not these names will be 'trademarked' or 'copyrighted' because of course they are incredibly original and must not be copied.
14. Scene kids always post pictures of their amazing friends on their profile, just to support their claim that their friends are better than ours.
THE MYSPACE PHOTOS!
15. Okay you are not a certified scene kid until you have myspace photos. Myspace photos are more often than not photoshopped to death and highly contrasted/very bright to hide the many flaws scene kids have (beneath their many layers of foundation and eye makeup, obviously) Most myspace photos are taken from above (holding the camera above you aimed down at you so you have a birdseye view of your messy hair, youth/medium tee, hipbones jutting out of the top of your tight jeans, and whatever shoes you happen to be wearing for the photograph)
16. Scene girls should always pout for photographs
17. Scene boys should snarl or growl for photographs
18. Hardcore scene girls should snarl or growl for photographs
19. Partially hide your face with your mass amount of hair
20. Some scene kids like to do 'cool' things like photograph themselves snorting cocaine. Whatever floats their boat.
21. Don't forget to add that Oh so Scene caption! "no photoshop, kthnx!"
22. This section is not just for scene girls!
23. Scene boys and girls like to apply mass amounts of eyeliner..it is essential. Scene kids do not leave the house without it, and when applied you must ensure you apply as much of the stuff as your eyelids can support. Ditto with eyeshadow.
24. Scene girls like to cover their faces with foundation (for the oh so cool -not- "deadgirl" scene girl look, opt for a white foundation) and some scene girls finish their look with a sweep of blusher to compliment the 6 inches of pink eyeshadow weighing down their eyelids. How pretty!
25. Some Scene kids, usually of the "dead variety" like to apply concealer to their lips. Dead attractive.
26. This varies. Scene kids like to say they listen to hardcore, but nobody bats an eyelid when their profile song is 'Son of Dork - Ticket Outta Loserville'
27. Most Scene girls love McFLY and go to their shows (this is understandable, McFLY are hot)
28. Most Scene girls love Dougie from McFLY more than you do.
29. Scene Kids go to shows-a-plenty because they are hardcore gig goers by nature. Whether they go to watch the band or to flaunt their sceneness and scope fit scene kids with fringes is an entirely different matter altogether..
WHERE TO FIND A SCENE KID
30. Soho Square
31. H&M (they love it and buy all their clothes from there)
34. Shows. In the queue, alongside the queue, you're bound to find many a scene kid hugging one another or standing with inverted feet and their hands in their pockets, or standing in a huddle holding a digital camera above their heads, posing for that photograph that will no doubt be photoshopped the second its on their PC and uploaded to MySpace to be commented by the Scene Kids enormous list of 'friends'!
35. Scene Kids like to say "kthnx". Deal with it.
36. Scene Kids also like to say "Deal with it". Kthnx.
41. Scene Kids often like to misuse the semi colon. "HI;My names W H A T E V E R !" (trademarked, naturally)
42. They also like to overuse exclamation mark and throw in some '1's and maybe even some 'ones', cos it's cool!!1!1!!one
SCENE KIDS LIKE:
47. Their amazing friends
48. digital cameras
51. art & photography
53. drinking and smoking
54. kissing in the rain
SCENE KIDS DON'T LIKE
55. Scene Kids
56. Random Adds
57. People asking them how they are
58. Anyone outside of their amazing group of friends
SCENE KIDS WANT FOR CHRISTMAS
59. A bf/gf plz?
SCENE KID MYTH
60. Not all scene kids are straight-edge. Most smoke like chimneys to be fair.
TO ENSURE MAXIMUM SCENE-NESS
61. Get pierced! Girls - monroe, snakebite, septum, excessive ear piercings, its all good! Guys - septum, snakebite, stretched ears, eyebrow, backs of necks, surface piercings, its all good!
62. Get tattood! Anything goes, especially stars. Scene Girls like their lower backs, hipbones, feet and ankles tattood, whereas guys opt for sleeves/half sleeves and across their chests.
63. Don't forget to mention what tattoos/piercings you have on your myspace profile!!1!
64. Swear excessively
I guess that pretty much covers How To Be A Scene Kid. Once you've read and followed every single step to the letter, don't forget to take a picture of your newly transformed self (see 'THE MYSPACE PHOTO!') and upload to your Myspace account (after photoshopping, of course). Expect loads of comments saying how "buff" and "pretty" && lush you are, just don't expect anybody to recognise you at a show because to be fair, you all look the same. Kthnxbye xox
Girls: tight pants, polka dot shirts, bows, and those ugly slip-on flat mom shoes in some kind of pattern you wouldn't even want as wallpaper.
Boys: pants so tight they cause sterility, band t-shirts, and some annoying color of converse. Sometimes they like to say they're skaters and carry around a skateboard to make themselves seem like they're more than just vanity. We all know this is a lie. Also, sometimes it's BMX, etc.
Fashion: High. But only in price. Ugly pastels and fucked up floral patterns galore. Thunderbolts, dinosaurs, robots, diamond encrusted brass knuckles (or just plain diamonds), cupcakes, and broken hearts are all a key basis for the scene imagery. Scene bitches are no different than the ordinary stuck-up, preppy, taking daddy's credit card for a joyride at the mall female money vacuum.
Urban Dictionary: Anyone who didn't get past the first few paragraphs without giving the submission a thumbs-down.
Music: None. They either think they're too good for music, or they say they listen to indie, 'dancepunk', or electronica...but it's always no more than a ploy to seem alternative. Most cannot understand music enough to have any viable input or taste (hence why we keep seeing this steady propagation of ridiculous genre names). Like many others, they feel their interests are an extension of themselves and therefore only advertise what they are sure others will praise.
Language: Some talk like the ghetto cliche, others talk like any other illiterate asshole, and very few who type properly do it for reasons other than the fact they want to look smart or superior. Elongated consonants added to the endings of words is often used. They're almost always Myspace whores and put the number of the friends they have in their username.
Summary: Like any other teenager, they're stupid, naive, and ignorant. Like any other teenager, very few grow out of it, especially those in the scene due to the relentless addiction to materialism and consumerism. But the latter addictions can also be applied most relevantly to those of the 'ghetto' and 'prep' clichés. In fact, there really is no barrier between any of the stereotypes because they're all based around the same shit. Like this music, wear these clothes, think this way, the only reason the scene is such a plague is because of it's blatant popularity. But it's the popularity that brings out the idiocy of the masses. The scene kids may be stupid, but so is anyone else who follows a trend or lives only for the social acceptance of a particular sect of society.
The basic format of a scene Myspace name is:
(First name here)(alliteration to first name here)(Trademark sign)(friendlist number (X.Xk format) here)(symbol of heart or other here)
Example: Katie Kaos™ 3.7k<3
It is often used to refer to kids, mostly between the age range of 14 and 24, who listen to these types of music. Stereotypically, these kids have short often dark hair, often chopped up or hanging around their faces. They tend to go to a lot of concerts and listen to their favorite bands a lot. They often listen to small, obscure, or local bands no one else has ever heard of. They may also maintain a myspace where they often will post pictures of themselves. This whole movement used to be counter-culturish but now has become mainstream to a point. Some people tend to make unfair judgements about scene people, and while some of them could very well be jerks the majority of them probably aren't.
2) the culture and group of people surrounding a style of music
2) The punk rock scene has gotten kinda stale lately. Too many of these bands sound the same.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A SCENE BOY:
-SEXX hair that covers most of their face but not their awesome lip ring or snake bites
-tight band t-shirt
-two possibilities for jackets: a big one with a furry hood or a tight one, usually black and for a band.
-they'l be surrounded by a lot of other scene boys and girls
HOW TO IDENTIFY A SCENE GIRL:
-short choppy hair, usually black. most of the time they'll be random pieces that are white, platinum blonde, or a neon color
-always dressed in black and then a lot of bright colors, usually hot pink or lime green
-TONS of makeup. a lot of black eyeliner followed by a metallic color like a teal or pink for eyeshadow.
-they'll probably be wearing a brightly colored bandana around their "SEXX HAIR"
-if they don't have a bandana they'll be wearing a bow made for little girls or a brightly colored headband
-when they wear bracelets, it's not just one, it's about 50 on each arm and they're "sexx bracelets" and cheap plastic bracelets they think are cute from 25cent machines and stores like "CLAIRES"
-super tight jeans that go straight down (no flare)
-neon flats, those flat "stretch-like sneaker" with no laces
-surrounded by tons of clones (other "scenesters")
TYPICAL INTERESTS OF SCENE KIDS:
-dinosaurs (they often like to mimic them by saying "rawr" and "grr" ALL the time)
-taking millions of themselves using "the angles"
-using photoshop to make the pictures "THE SEXX"
-myspace, myspace, and myspace. they're usually what people call "myspace whores" and they add millions of "original people" just like them and get people to add and comment them
-fingerless gloves, preferably black. (the scenesters who try really hard to be scene cut them themselves)
-the scene vegetarians and vegans are only like that because it's cool, they could care less about the animals
-they're so sxe (straight edge) and like to signify that by drawing big XXX's on their hands
-they go to tons of shows, usually in their area. most of the time they don't even know the band, they just wanna go in the pit and show off their hxc dancing and skank.
-they like using words like "hella," "hawt," and "cunt" (a lot). they type in LEET, like "WER G0IING_2 TH3 HXC ROCKSH00W &&_& TH3N G0ING 0UT 4 TACOZZ" yet they claim they hate it when people "tyPpee LyKk diSs."
-they only listen to THEIR music, any other music sucks.
Basically, scenesters are attention whores and hypocrits. they're fake and self-centered.
laurin: "OMFGAWWDZZ N0WAYZZ, THAT NEW PIERCING IS TEH SEXX, U DID IT YRSELFF? THATSS S0 HELLA HAWTZZ OMFGS LAWLZ, SEXX ME CUNTWHORE UZ R SO SCENE"