The scene is a slap in the face to real musicians. The contention of the scene is that it's basically cool to be a poser.
Characteristics that scene kids usually have:
- pretend to be guitarists when all they're likely able to play are open/power/barre chords
- hair that's long in the front and short in the back (e.g. a devilock or emo hair)
- overly-tight pants. the scene guys usually wear misses size womens pants.
- overly-tight shirts with the name of the crappiest/most obscure band you can find. also wear "vintage" shirts that are bought from ebay or thrift stores (e.g. a shirt from a rolling stones concert in the 1970's while the kid wearing it was born in the 1980's).
- lots of facial piercings... gauged ears (usually 0g or more), septum piercing, double lip piercings (snake bites), labret piercing, etc.
-Has choppy hair.
-Listens to hardcore indie, screamo, emo types of music.
-Attends shows all the time.
-Doesn't have a boyfriend, because they are too "picky"
-Dyes and cut their hair often.
-Wears flats. (the shoes.)
-They get offended when people call them "scene".
-Wears hair to the side.
-The scene guys wear tight band shirts and pants.
-Uses words such as "hawt", "rad", and "nigga"
-Hangs out with other scenesters.
-Makes fun of people who aren't like them.
-Loves starbucks and panera.
-Wears the thick glasses.
-Wears bows in their hair.
-Wears a ton of makeup.
-Sometimes are a vegan
-Has a myspace and adds new pictures on it everyday.
-Has 43348 friends on her myspace.
-Has a live journal.
woahx3: lemme see nicka!
woahx3: those pics are the sexxx.
radddd: brb i gotta add them to my myspace cuz im so scene.
woahx3: DUH! peace out hawtie.
1. Another word for "subculture" that doesn't sound quite so scientific, allowing it to be used in daily conversation. Used this way it usually has an adjective modifying it: the "indy scene" or the "hardcore scene" or the "emo scene." When someone refers to a particular "scene," they're talking about everything - the people, the places, the fashion, the music, and the trends.
2. A tongue-in-cheek reference to the trends and fashions of the various scenes. Many of these subcultures were built around countercultural ideals and nonconformist attitudes; the fact that trends even exist is humorous irony, and using "scene" as an adjective originally intended to lampoon that.
3. A trend of sorts that evolved from the indy, emo, and hardcore scenes (see the first definition); basically, anything that can be sold at Hot Topic. As events like Warped Tour - and artists like Avril Lavigne - became popular, the trends and fashions of these three scenes (and a few others) were gradually amalgamized and commericalized to create the generic "scene" monkier. Someone who is "scene" generally borrows from the various subcultures and combines them together - you can tell they're part of *a* scene, but no one is quite sure *what* scene. It is important to note that this use of "scene" refers to a fashion trend - it isn't a subculture in its own right, because it has no music, venues, or attitudes of its own to live on after it loses popularity.
4. An ironic insult toward followers of the "scene" trend outlined in 3. Calling someone "scene" brings up images of Avril Lavigne, Hot Topic, Good Charlotte, and, more recently, Myspace; it implies that he or she is a fair-weather fan, conforming to be popular or to fit in. In that sense, it is related to the term poseur. It also implies being more worried about the more visible icons of a particular scene (the fashion and language, for example) than the music that the scene is founded on. Calling someone a scenester basically means the same thing.
2. Wow... a Thundercats shirt, crotch-hugging faded jeans, and a devilock... how very scene of you. Not to mention your ratty Converse shoes or your Know Your Mushrooms armband.
3. Be more scene. Shop at Hot Topic.
4. Enjoy being scene while it lasts, because Myspace isn't enough to keep it going once the next fad hits.
Typical Scene Traits:
-Choppy, angled bangs, layers, razor-chopped hair. Straight. Really long or super short. Died hair, hilights.
-Lots of makeup, black eyeliner.
-Trendy, creative clothing. tight shirts, tight jeans.
-buys clothes at thrift stores
-takes lots of pictures and photoshopps them till they look like a doll.
-has a myspace
-Some type really weird, but some are literate freaks.
-Addicted to fashion, trends, childsclothing such as hairribbions, barbies, carebears, ect.
-Addicted to certian genres of music, Indie, hardxcore, rock, ect.
-says their ugly, knows their pretty/hot
-OKAY. let me say this, We're not posers of eachother. We like the same things, and thats why were "scene" and because we don't like other genres such as "gangster" "Prep" or "Emo" dosn't make us BAD ,or give you right to make our group look BAD. We don't need more hate entrys on Ubandictionary.
Scene girl's friend: "..You wore her same outfit on Monday."
not scene kid "hey. that girl looks exactly like you. i think you're even wearing the same pants."