1*. sweat (vi/vt; sweat or sweated, sweating): to fret or worry (about); especially, to worry excessively.
2*. sweat (vi/vt; see 1): to work hard or diligently. "to sweat it out:" "to achieve a goal through hard work;" "to endure;" "to persevere or overcome;" also, "to suffer withdrawal symptoms;" "to kick a (drug) habit;" "to overcome a drug addiction."
*in senses 1 or 2: "to sweat bullets" or "to sweat blood:" to worry frantically or to work strenuously. (allegedly, sweating blood is an actual but rare medical condition in which the blood from bursting capillaries mixes with the perspiration of nearby sweat glands.)
3. sweat (n): problem, difficulty; e.g., "a mountain of sweat:" "a difficult task," but in this sense often used negatively, with "no:" "no sweat:" "no problem;" sc "you're welcome."
4. sweat (n): american postal slang for mail that does not belong at the indicated address (e.g., because it is addressed to recipients who no longer live there), especially machine-sorted mail that letter carriers must therefore bring back to the station after carrying to the street. "sweaty:" adjective describing such mail, mail that contains a fair amount of "sweat," or mail that tends to be undeliverable.
5. sweat (vt): pipefitter's term for soldering together two lengths of metal pipe, typically used with "-fit:" "sweat-fit" (-fit or -fitted, fitting).
1. (vt) don't sweat the small stuff.
1. (vt) are you still sweating your midterms? i'm sure you passed!
1. (vi) every time her boy goes skateboarding, she sweats.
2. those hod carriers just sweat all day.
2. well, if you can't score (drugs), you'll just have to sweat it out.
3. dad: "thanks for setting up my computer." daughter: "no sweat."
3. you're stuck doing inventory? that's a pool of sweat!
4. i had a foot of sweat in my dps (machine mail) today!
4. those circulars are so sweaty, you can't deliver half of them! they really ought to update their mailing list.
4. regular letter-carrier to the substitute: "people are constantly moving in and out of that apartment, so don't be surprised if you have to bring back a lot of sweat."
5. it's easier to sweat-fit new copper pipes than old ones.
5. i hate having to sweat (or sweat-fit) these pipes in confined spaces!
Prices shown in USD.
Введите адрес Вашей электронной почты, чтобы бесплатно получать от нас Слово Дня каждое утро!
Электронные письма отправляются с адреса email@example.com. Мы никогда не будем отсылать Вам нежелательную почту.